Has the Age of Plus Size Models Arrived?
Without a doubt, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.
A decade ago, plus-size women were not considered beautiful in the eyes of the then-thin-modeling world.
Below are some tips to inspire you.
Defying Stereotypes With Plus Modeling
Today, new female models who are plus size have covered significant milestones in paving the way for the future and curving their names in the history books of high fashion.
There are more plus models on the list below but here is a segment from Plus Model Magazine about Ashley Graham:
Highlight In The Know with Ashley Graham
“Ashley Graham is one of the top supermodels in the plus size modeling industry. She has modeled for retailers such as Lane Bryant Target Evans Torrid and many others. She has been in Vogue Glamour and other fashion.”
If you are a full figure, curvy woman who is interested in learning modeling and pursuing this type career, read on to see some requirements and the top 5 females to give you some inspiration and hope to work in the network of modeling.
Quick Plus Size Modeling Tips for Beginners
- being full figured with a curvy frame is the first requirement. Your body should be proportional at a recommended 10-inch difference between bust, waist and hips (e.g. 44-34-44). You should always live healthy.
- recommended height of 5’6″-6′
- must be even toned. You may model accessories, products, lingerie, fitness gear etc.
- have a lot of determination and self drive. The life of plus size modeling is not a rosy one; mean comments are bound to come.
- draw inspiration from celebrated models in this domain and strive to make your dream a reality.
Top Five Plus Size Models in the Industry
- Maggie Brown: Signed a contract with Wilhelmina Models, NY after winning Tyra Bank’s show Thick and Sexy Top Model in 2006. Appeared in magazines like Bombshell, Plus Model, Igigi Model of the Month, and shows like Entertainment Tonight, AM Northwest, and The Insider.
- Kate Dillon: Was initially a size 6 anorexic model with Elite New York but overcame it and gained weight to size 14. Wilhelmina Models, NY signed her as a plus size model. Appeared in Vogue, MODE, and worked with the likes of Patrick Demarchelier, Mario Testino and Albert Watson, to become a global inspiration.
- Mia Tyler: daughter of famous Aerosmith. Started modeling at age 20 and has appeared in over 15 magazines including Figure and Vogue. Reputed for her bubbly personality and rock n’ roll lifestyle.
- Chloe Marshall: hails from Southeast England and was the first
runner-up for the coveted Miss England title in 2008. Her body which was rather atypical for some and raised controversy but Models Plus Agency described her as luscious, sexy and confident.
- Natalie Laughlin: the first plus size model to appear on a billboard advert that stood in Time Square, New York and to be featured in Glamour magazine. Has graced several others like Vogue.
Want to Become a Plus Size Model?
Now that you’ve seen it can be done, put some time aside, get your plan together and contact plus size modeling agencies who might be interested in talented, full figured women. If you have the look, a career could be in your future.
I hope you enjoyed this section about the plus size modeling industry and will come back often for updates. – Bob Pardue
Filed under: Modeling Tips